Preview: City Council agenda (July 22)

The City Council meets Tuesday, July 22 at 6 pm. The agenda is here. Because summer Council meetings are rare, the agendas are huge: my original highlights list had 32 items. I’ve left out most of the items that will be discussed further in committee.

There’s a rally before the meeting at 5pm. “Community Unity Rally Against Racism.” This is in response to the noose displayed at the downtown post office. (T&G article.) The feds are investigating the noose, and the Council will be voting on a resolution asking the US Attorney General to get involved.

The Worcester Community-Labor Coalition is asking people to show up at the meeting in support of holding “public hearings starting in September on charter change and that at the conclusion of the hearings take a vote on holding an election to let the voters decide Worcester’s future.” “Charter change” in this case would mean switching from our current City Manager-run government to a Mayor-run government.

  • City of Worcester Veterans Square Project: The Council is honoring Worcester Police Officer Sean M. Lovely, Sr. for creating the worcvs.org website.
  • The Worcester Revolution of 1774: Randall Orno wants a plaque at Main & Exchange “to commemorate September 6, 1774 when the representatives of King George were escorted out of Worcester, which ended up being a significant factor in the Battle of Lexington & Concord six months later.” More on the Worcester Revolution.
  • Asian Longhorned Beetles: “Anthony Maloney et al request to stop the removal of 500 ALB host trees” in Green Hill Park “that are not yet infected by the Asian Longhorned Beetle. Instead, treat the unaffected trees with Imidacloprid, which is well documented to kill the beetle and prevent infestation.” The counter-argument here is that this chemical is bad for bees and other bugs.
  • Gender Identity: There’s an item which will expand the Human Rights Commissions’ purview to include gender identity, to create a “gender identity and expression policy” for the City, and to require all vendors we do business with to have similar policies.
  • Crime Stats: The Council will officially receive a report stating that arrests are up and crime is down. T&G story.
  • Senior Center Heroes: The Council will honor Matthew Sullivan and Brandi Manca of QCC, who operate a cafe at the Senior Center where they train students, and who have dealt ably with three medical emergencies there in recent months.
  • The Unused Field at Boynton Park: The Council wants the City Manager to come up with a plan for this.
  • Olympics: Councilor Rosen wants the City to tell Boston we’re willing to partner in their bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
  • City Seal: Councilor Toomey wants the Law Department to say whether people can use takeoffs of the City Seal. I don’t know what this is about. People using takeoffs of the City Seal include at least one local blogger and one e-cigarette store. In another item, Councilor Bergman would like flags with the City Seal flown in our parks.
  • Pedestrian Safety: Councilor Lukes wants a pedestrian safety pilot program in Webster Square. This would be based on programs in other cities which have free flags!
  • City E-mail Signatures: From Councilor Economou: “Request City Manager consider all City e-mail signatures include the following, in an effort to self-promote our community: 'One of the Top 10 Largest Metro Cities to Raise a Family - Forbes 2014'.”
  • Sex Offenders: Councilors Bergman and Rivera are asking about legal issues regarding limiting where “Level 2 and Level 3 sex offenders” can live.
  • City Manager Search: Item 17a notes that the City Councilors are meeting with consultants [T&G link these last few days, ranking candidates for City Manager.
  • Uncle Sam’s: “22q. REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON TRAFFIC AND PARKING Upon the Petition of Dheyaa Al Khamees of Uncle Sam request 15 minute parking for business at 151 Pleasant St.: recommend Petition be denied.”
Posted in City Council Meeting Preview | Leave a comment

Preview: City Council agenda (June 17)

The City Council meets Tuesday, June 17 at 7 pm. The agenda is here. Here are some other items that jumped out at me.

  • Library Board: Candidates for an open spot on the Library Board will be speaking before the Council. A new member will be voted in next week.
  • Obama: Bill Coleman wants the City (item 9j) to put up a plaque at Tech High to commemorate Obama’s commencement speech.
  • Bus changes: Beloved gadfly Jo Hart has an item (9l) requesting the city take out a front-page ad in the T&G any day there are bus changes. I’m skeptical about this idea as compared to, say, text alerts.
  • Board of Health: There are more items regarding the City Manager’s efforts to make our Board of Health a regulatory, rather than advisory, board. These items are scheduled to go to committee, which is the best place for you to comment if you care about this issue. T&G article.
  • DCU: There’s at least one $2.2 million finance item regarding rehabbing the DCU Center. The City Manager would like to borrow millions more for this and related projects. T&G article.
  • Meeting rules changes: The Council is expected to approve some changes in the ways meetings happen. The changes include:
    • “That when scheduling Standing Committee Meetings, that they be
      conducted after regular working hours, as often as possible, for the
      convenience of the public”.
    • That if you come to a meeting wanting to speak, you should speak at the beginning of the meeting, even if you’re addressing an item to be discussed much later in the meeting.
  • Maps: Councilor Toomey has an item requesting that the city talk “with the various online mapping and directional agencies” to make sure that changes to our streets are reflected in the digital world.
  • More Obama: Councilor Lukes wants the School Department to pay for part of the police costs associated with Obama giving the commencement speech at Worcester Tech High School.
  • Crystal Pond cleanup: Councilor Rivera wants there to be a “cleanup of the pond in University Park (formerly known as Crystal Park).”
  • No dogs in the parks: Councilor Rivera additionally wants there to be “No Dogs Allowed” and “No Littering” signs in our parks.
  • NDAA: The City Council is expected (item 13a) to ditch (“file”) a citizen request that it speak out against certain parts of the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, which contains troubling attacks on our civil liberties. The Council is very capable of taking stands on non-municipal issues like this when it wants to.
Posted in City Council Meeting Preview | Leave a comment

Preview: City Council agenda (June 3)

The City Council meets Tuesday, June 3 at 7 pm. The agenda is here. The City Council should be finishing up with the municipal budget at this meeting. Here are some other items that jumped out at me.

  • Universal symbols: I think it’s great that City Hall Plaza gets so much use and people are so excited about it that citizens are filing items about it. I don’t know what the “universal symbol” here is about, but the general item is about the Americans with Disabilities Act, and a request that a couple of the Plaza umbrellas be opened by city employees so that people who have trouble operating the mechanism can still hang out in the shade. “8bb. Scott Ricker request the umbrellas on two (2) tables in City Hall Plaza and the deck behind City Hall be opened by 8:00 A.M. and have a universal symbol visible when opened.”
  • Finance: Councilors Russell and Lukes are asking for a report on all city government’s vehicles and whether they can be shared between departments.
  • Apps: Councilor Toomey wants the city to create “a phone app for permitting.”
  • Police lawsuits: At least one “executive session” at this council meeting? “9h. FROM THE COMMITTEE ON FINANCE – Request City Council schedule an executive session for the purpose of discussing all court judgments that includes especially the recently decided case involving a police officer. (Lukes)”
  • Water and sewer bills: It drives me crazy that the city can’t automatically bill your credit card for water and sewer bills. There is no good reason for this. Councilor Bergman has an item about paying these bills “on account,” which I don’t think addresses the autobill issue, but I include this here for our readers who are passionate about water and sewer billing. Councilor Bergman may be the man to talk to. “9l. Request City Manager consider promoting to residents the option to pay water and sewer bills on account. (Bergman)”
  • Parking: Before the election Councilor Bergman said he had lots of ideas relating to both zoning and parking, and he continues to push forward with them. “9o. Request the Commissioner of Public Works & Parks report why there are so many downtown thirty-minute or less parking meters and why they cannot be made to have two hour limits. (Bergman)”
  • Publicly-funded cable channels: Councilor Gaffney has another item this week relating to publicly-funded TV. There are no notes accompanying the item to say exactly what he’s getting at here, but I speculate it might relate to the non-governmental Research Bureau using the government TV channel. “9u. Request City Manager forward to City Council the policy that Cable Services uses regarding filming events. (Gaffney)”
  • Lodging laws: No, the City Council is not going to consider reforming the restrictions against more than three unrelated people living together. But they have several items relating to the city’s continued dislike of lots of unrelated people in the same apartment, with a special focus on the Clark and Holy Cross neighborhoods. 9w, 9x, 9y, 9z. For example: “Request City Manager request Police Chief provide an opinion to City Council concerning whether or not he expects there to be an increase in disorderly conduct should there be four or more non-related persons allowed to reside in a living unit.”
  • Erroneous votes: I don’t know what prompted this but it’s interesting. “Request City Manager request City Solicitor draft an amendment to the Rules of the City Council to set forth a procedure whereby a vote of a Councilor “made in error” and not reconsidered can be recorded as such. (Bergman)”
  • “Cool Roofs”: Posted without comment. “10j. Request City Manager consider an initiative that would convert all municipally-owned buildings to “cool roofs” similar to those created in a New York City program, and further, request the Superintendent of the Worcester Public Schools for parallel implementation at buildings under their purview. Additionally, request City Manager request the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce encourage downtown property owners participate in a “cool roof” program. (Rushton)”
  • Panhandling: It’s been more than a year since the city’s latest crackdown on panhandlers. There are no longer kids fundraising on streetcorners, but there are still plenty of disheveled adults holding cardboard signs around town. Councilor Rivera was one of a handful of councilors voting against the crackdown. Awhile back she asked for an update. I don’t believe the update arrived, so here’s another request, relating to the outreach worker who’s touching base with people asking for money. “10q.Request City Manager report to City Council as to the effectiveness of the current panhandler outreach efforts. (Rivera)”

Thanks as always for reading this. As we draft it we keep in mind all the great people at the T&G going through a round of layoffs today. Their work is invaluable. If you haven’t seen it, you might want to check out their update on the dispute between the EPA and city government on how much Worcester is allowed to pollute the Blackstone and who should be paying for a solution to the problem.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Preview: City Council agenda (April 29)

The City Council meets Tuesday, April 29 at 7 pm. The agenda is here. Here are some items that jumped out at me.

  • Complaining about the International Lounge: Item 7cc is a request from Jean-Paul Stevens that the city “review all licenses,” relating to the Lounge (27 Pleasant St), “require the hiring of detail police officers,” and “enforce compliance with city ordinances with regards to decibel levels of music and occupancy capacity levels.”
  • Narcan: Billy Breault is asking the city to let the police and fire fighters have Narcan, which is used to treat heroin overdoses. Good job Billy.
  • Mural at 138 Green St: The city’s asking the council to allow there to be a mural there as a gift from the Canal District Alliance. This is somewhere around Crompton Collective?
  • Tactical Response Areas: The Police Department will submit to the council a map of the city’s “Tactical Response Areas.” Spoiler alert: most of the city [PNG].
  • all the background on SWIP you could want. Here is a video of the area in question.
  • Hot Dog Ventors: The Economic Development Committee presents some items to the full council. Recall that a few years back, at the request of a few local restaurant owners, the council added new restrictions on food trucks, which drove many of them out of the city. It was a close vote. Now, the feeling of the council might be a little different. The committee wants a report on whether the city can designate parking spaces for food trucks, some research on how fees are handled in other New England cities, and a plan for having food trucks in our parks.
  • Smart Grid: Our electrical utility, National Grid, wants to test “smart grid” technology in Worcester. Some in the community have been very concerned, though the arguments against “smart grids” seem sketchy to me. In any case, the Committee on Public Service and Transportation is less skeptical than I, and want National Grid to post a bond in case there are negative health effects, wants National Grid to fund health studies, and wants the whole project delayed a year. The full council will have to vote on these items.
  • Homelessness: Councilor Rivera wants an update on what’s happening with our 2007 plan to end homelessness.
  • Cannabis: Councilor Russell wants to prohibit “open use of non-medical marijuana” in the city.
  • Recycling Bags Rather Than Bins: Councilor Bergman wants a city-wide pilot program using plastic bags to hold recycling rather than bins.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Preview: City Council agenda (March 25)

The City Council meets Tuesday, March 25 at 7 pm. The agenda is here. Here are some items that jumped out at me.

  • Salaries: The Council is being given a list of city employee salaries. The T&G has more.
  • Foreclosure mediation: For a few months there, the city administration was discouraging the Council from asking for a city foreclosure mediation program, because of legal and other concerns. Well the Council voted for it, and now the administration has an item with details on how it would be implemented, how much it will cost, and what the first financial steps are. The T&G has more.
  • details via T&G). Now that this plan exists, the city is allowed to negotiate directly with people interested in buying parcels, rather than going through a public bidding process. Nicole has all the background on SWIP you could want. Here is a video of the area in question.
  • Parks: The latest Open Space and Recreation Plan is being presented by City of Worcester Parks & Recreation Commission. There is no hope of me summarizing this giant thing.
  • Indian Lake: There’s also a new master plan for Indian Lake.
  • Smart Meters: National Grid has a long response to some of the questions/paranoia surrounding it’s plan to bring “smart meters” to Worcester.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Preview: City Council Meeting (March 18)

The City Council meets Tuesday, March 18 at 7 pm. The agenda is here.

  • Road work: There’s a citizen request that Eastern Ave be repaid. Councilor Economou is requesting “installation of 6-inch concrete diameter posts in front of 1 Marmion Avenue.” Are people confused by this intersection and driving onto the lawn?
  • Crosswalks: Matthew Kracher has a citizen petition requesting that “police crosswalk stings” cease at the intersection of Lancaster and Dix Streets. He has a writeup of his concerns and basically thinks these stings are BS. Every so often the Council has asked the police department to conduct these stings, to try to get motorists to take crosswalks more seriously. I do not think this culture change has happened.
  • Cable access TV: Councilor Gaffney has an item asking a bunch of questions about how the city has been spending its “cable franchise fees” in recent years. These moneys are used, among other things, for funding the public access and government cable tv channels. The item has no hints of where he’s going with this.
  • Pawnbrokers: Councilors Bergman and Economou would like a city ordinance requiring pawnbrokers “to photograph their purchases and acquisitions and transmit same to the Worcester Police Department.”
  • Alcohol: Councilor Lukes has a couple items asking how the city can extend “closing times for the serving of alcohol, especially for a limited geographical footprint as a pilot project.”
  • Street vendors: Councilor Rosen has an item asking if more “street vendors of food and retail items” can be allowed on Worcester Common. (He has in the past also supported food trucks.)
  • WRA: As part of our series noting the revival of the Worcester Redevelopment Authority, let’s note item 10b, “relative to the Debt Service Schedule for the City’s Issuance of $500,000.00 in Bonds Associated with the Downtown Urban Renewal Project Proposed in the Fiscal Year 2014 Budget to be Undertaken by the Worcester Redevelopment Authority.
  • Name change: There’s a petition from Mahmoud Soheili and Aliveza Avshadi to change the name of Olean Circle to Soheili Circle. At this meeting, the proposal is moving from the Planning Board to the Public Works Committee.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Preview: City Council Meeting (March 11)

The City Council meets Tuesday, March 11 at 7 pm. The agenda is here.

Quick meeting this week, mostly reports from the City Manager.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Preview: Worcester City Council (March 4)

The City Council meets Tuesday, March 4 at 7 pm. The agenda is here. Here are some items that jumped out at me. There are some important items, and many silly items, on the agenda.

  • Property taxes: There’s a citizen proposal that $1,000 each year be subtracted from property tax bill for three-family, owner occupied buildings if $1,000 is spent on exterior house improvements.”
  • Civil War: One of the most confusing items ever. Why doesn’t this call it the Civil War? And why does it read like there are 150-year-old donations to the city sitting in an escrow account somewhere? “Transmitting communication from Councilor Morris A. Bergman and Dr. Wendy J. Bergman requesting City Council to accept donations relating to the City of Worcester from the period 1858 through 1863 in conjunction with commemorations taking place across the United States noting the 150th Anniversary of the War Between the States.”
  • Crime Stats: There are some items requesting crime stats, as well as “a map of those areas of the city that have been recipients of Tactical Response Area funds.”
  • Flagg Street: The Committee on Traffic and Parking is asking for a review of how effective the Resident Permit Parking zone on South Flagg Street has been, 6 months after it’s instituted. I don’t know what the background is, but it’s encouraging to see something reviewed a few months after it’s tried. The Committee is also asking for “aggressive enforcement.” Non-residents, beware!
  • Dog Park: The Parks & Rec Committee has a bunch of items relating to the proposed new dog park. The most hilarious one asks if we could use “some kind of tag or card” that would only unlock the gate for licensed dogs, and if we can charge non-Worcester dogs a different fee. The marginal cost of a visiting dog has not yet been reported publicly. The marginal cost of irritating visitors with dogs who just want to hang out with their friends has not been reported either.
  • Panhandling: Speaking of reviewing the effectiveness of new policies, it’s been a year since Worcester’s latest anti-panhandling ordinances came into effect. Councilor Rivera has an item asking how things are going with the city’s panhandler outreach worker.
  • TV: Councilor Rosen has an item asking the City Manager if we can get a network-affiliated TV station in Worcester, so that we’ll have better news coverage. If the City Manager’s powers of persuasion can get a TV station to move here, I can come up with a long list of other stuff the Council should ask for.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Preview: School Committee (March 6)

The Worcester School Committee has the first March meeting on Thursday, 7pm. You can find the agenda

here. (This preview cross-posted from Tracy’s blog.)

  • First up, the postponed honors from last week for South High.
  • We also have a member of the public coming to speak on PARCC. That, combined with a response from administration regarding an item from Ms. Colorio on PARCC, means it is up for discussion. Please come if you wish to be heard!
  • We have several responses coming back from administration: on the Sheriff’s FACE to FACE program; on posting the Friday letters online (they’re up!); on the participation of students with disabilities in athletics; on data charts (no, not walls); and on sending requests for repairs through SchoolDude.
  • We have Ms. Biancheria’s items, held from last week.
  • We have a request to approve a prior year payment of$1,960.00.
  • The School Committee is requested to accept the donation of $2500 for a scholarship for a graduating senior, which is from ASBO due to Mr. Allen’s Distinguished Eagle Award
  • We have a request to approve a prior year payment of $28,105 to Behavior Concepts, Inc. for ABA services.
  • I’ve put the proposed charter regulation changes on the agenda for consideration ahead of the Board of Ed’s March 24th meeting; I’ve also proposed that we urge our delegation to oppose any lift of the charter school cap.
  • We’re being asked to accept a donation to the Caradonio New Citizens Center from METSO Automation USA, Inc.
  • We have a bit of a tweak to Worcester East Middle School’s Statement of Interest with MSBA–if you’re interested in WEMS, you’ll want to read it–that adds a general systems upgrade to the request for roof and windows that we’d requested. It’s pretty cool that MSBA did this; they could have just turned us down flat, but instead agreed that we needed what we asked for and more.
  • We’ve got the Meritorious Budget Award!
  • Assuming a positive vote, we’re setting a date for budget priority setting of March 20.
  • We’re going to recognize our ski team (that we share with St. Peter-Marian).
  • We’re asked to accept a donation of $500 from METSO Automation USA, Inc to Clark Street for basketball.
  • And we’re working on moving the School Committee date in April off of Holy Thursday, for those who observe it.
  • Plus: executive session has three student long-term suspension hearings.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Worcester City Council meeting preview (Feb 25, 2014)

The City Council meets Tuesday, February 25 at 7 pm. The agenda is here. Here are some items that jumped out at me.

  • Finding a new, permanent City Manager: The Municipal Operations Committee has approved a plan. It’s now before the full City Council. There would be finalists by the end of May, and a Manager by the end of September. Community groups would have an opportunity to meet with the finalists. The T&G has more.
  • Medical marijuana: Famous/infamous activist Billy Breault has an item asking the City Manager to investigate Good Chemistry, a company that the state has approved to open a medical marijuana store in Worcester. The store will be on 9 Harrison St, between Green and Water, and might open in December. They’re also authorized to build a grow house at 6 Pullman St. Councilor Lukes has an item requesting a “report on ownership and status for siting of Medical Marijuana entities in Worcester and any community outreach and meetings held regarding the siting.” The T&G has some good background.
  • SWIP: The decades’-long saga of trying to get something built at the South Worcester Industrial Park continues. The Economic Development Committee wants the city to develop and economic development plan for the area, which would then mean the city could negotiate directly with people interested in buying parcels, rather than going through a public bidding process. Nicole has all the background on SWIP you could want. Here is a video of the area in question.
  • Snow: Councilor Rivera wants people to have to clear crosswalk entrances of snow, like they have to clear their sidewalks. Councilor Lukes and Rosen want a report on how the city’s “snow account” is doing.
  • Zoning: Councilor Bergman continues to focus on zoning changes, this week asking if the Parks Department can “when making public park improvements, to follow the City of Worcester Zoning Ordinance, Article V-Site Plan Review, requiring the planting of trees at 20 -25 foot intervals.”
  • Free Public Wifi: Councilor Bergman also wants a report on whether the city could have free wifi.
  • Changes at the Board of Health: The City Manager wants it to be a regulatory, rather than advisory, board. Councilor Gaffney plans to slow down that process and ask for there to be public meetings on the issue. The T&G has more.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment