The Worcester List (aka City Council Agenda Previews) is back. The list will remain free, but you can make a financial contribution.
The Worcester City Council meets Tuesday at 6:30pm. The agenda is here.
- Boards and Commissions: The City Manager has appointed Sean Brennan to the Worcester Arts Council. The City Council will vote whether to approve Lizbeth Perez Rodriguez to the Community Development Advisory Committee*. The Manager would also like the Council to approve creation of a Worcester Ballpark Commission. This is very slightly changed from a previous plan for a Worcester Ballpark Authority.
- The Lawsuit: The Council will recess to an executive (not public) session to talk with the School Committee about the lawsuit against the city alleging that “Worcester’s at-large plurality electoral system for School Committee elections … unlawfully and unconstitutionally dilutes the vote of the Hispanic/Latino/a and Black communities in Worcester and deprives them of an equal opportunity to elect candidates of their choice to represent them on the Worcester School Committee.”
- Resurfacing: There are a couple petitions from Evan Corrigan for the city to resurface Sears Island Drive and Inwood Road.
- What’s Going On With Polar Park?: Nicole Apostola has a petition for the Manager to update the city’s online data about the Polar Park project. The city doesn’t have much of anything since the September agreement that deadlines will be pushed back a year or two. Among other things, she’d like to see listed all funding sources, how hiring goals are being met, documentation for gate receipts, and what revenue-generating and community events are scheduled for 2021.
- Lincoln Square Boys Club: The Manager is asking the Council to approve a plan whereby the long-vacant Boys Club/Worcester Voke building in Lincoln Square, and adjacent land, will be turned into 95 units of mixed-income senior housing. The Council needs to approve things related to easements and titles; the developers are not asking for city funding or subsidies at this point. Construction would begin in 2022.
- Adventures in Open Meeting Law: The Council will vote to ask the state for “an exception to the Open Meeting Law” so the City Clerk can “publish, prior to the start of a city council meeting, the names of city councilors who have signed onto items as co-sponsors.”
- Dial 415-655-0001 (Access Code 157 346 1349)
The Lincoln Square Boys Club, Past and Future
* “The Community Development Advisory Committee makes recommendations to the City Manager regarding agencies and programs to be funded annually in the Community Development Block Grant and Emergency Solutions Grants programs.”